Saturday, December 20, 2008

Border Crossing

From the Log . . .

At about that time, our well wishers descended upon us. They amounted, I would say to about 10 to 15 people in all, some of whom would accept a highball if we gave it to them. And as a matter of fact, passed out highballs to the people that came as well as ourselves, congratulating ourselves on the fact that we were finally getting underway for our long trip.

Dr. Dean Smith from New York had arrived two days before and much of his gear was still not put away so that added to the confusion. After taking leaving of San Diego and the cheerful group that came down there to see us off, I am more convinced than ever that the time to leave is in the middle of the night when no one knows that you are going. Certainly you are much more ready to leave at that time, than you are with a group of bottles and unwashed glasses, ready to get up you sails and start to sea.

Our trip through the silver gate, which the opening of San Diego Harbor is called, we were accompanied by my brother in-law, Paul Hartley in his PC. As a matter of fact, they sailed past the point tip of Point Loma to the ball buoy with us and finally gave us a cheer on our way. It was a beautiful day in southern California. The weather was warm and the breeze was just enough to push us along at about 5 knots and not dump over the spare gear that had not been properly stowed.

______________________________________________________

When I started this blog, it was to chronicle both my grandfather's trip around the world, and for the thoughts in my head to find a place. - to flow from my mind through my arms, hands, and eventually find their way to my fingertips and from there the keys to the world.

I'm at a point now in the journal where my Grandfather crosses the border into Mexican Waters.

I was up until 3 am last night, crossing a border of my own. I didn't know where this blog would take me- I still don't. It's a post by post endeavor, with my Grandfather's journey as a backbone to keep me going. My resolve is to continue to post until my Grandfather's story is told in full. I'm great at starting things, but not so good at the finish. Somewhere along the way, I get distracted and . . .

So this is a great place to segue, to stay on my own proper course.

In the spring and summer of 2005, Tillerman, the author of the blog 'Proper Course' was going through some introspection. A laser sailor, a fellow who has been exploring the joy of sailing for many years, started to kick it up a notch.

He started to practice starting.

The border I've crossed, the start I've just made in parallel to my Grandfather's border crossing is to begin to read some of the great sailing blogs. Admiral Anne and I were reading 'The Skips Blog', and a comment by Tillerman on that Blog got me over to his. I'm now spending about 6 hours a day, trying to catch up, to get current on 'The Skips Blog', 'Proper Course', and 'EVK4 SuperBlog' .

Just like the start of a yacht race, the fundamental strategy is to get clear air. Sailboats need clear air. The recent collision between MF and 'Stann by' may have been just as much a matter of 'Stand by' getting caught up in the 'dirty' air of the Maltese Falcon, as any of the other speculations.

So I'm looking at Proper Course as my own version of 'clear air', as I try to read all of Tillerman's posts from his very first to his latest. Then, like a sailboat in a race along a proper course, I'll reach off downwind by skipping through his top ten list.

Tillerman has a fantastic sidebar on his blog. His Top Ten Blog list, and More Boating Blogs is like the Golden Gate to me. I feel like I'm about to sail under that 'border' and discover a whole new world.

Thanks, Tillerman!

No comments: