Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Soul Searching

Today's Blog is going to be different.

I've done some soul searching and I need feedback from my readers.

I started this as a personal journey, just using blogger as a device to capture my thoughts and to help me transcribe Dr. Holcomb's journal.

That transcription is creating a Microsoft Word document. I copy a paragraph or two onto the post as I go, then . . . well, if you are reading this you know the rest.

But I now need help.

I've been using Charlie Bergstedt's Blog and others to track the weather and water conditions on SF Bay for about as long as I've been writing this blog. In fact it was Charlie's Blog and a little push from a dear friend, that got me started. I wanted to know how Charlie did it, and discovered Blogger. I haven't learned enough about Blogger to really make a quality Blog, but I'm learning inch by inch.

Then, a couple of months ago, I happened upon The Skip's Blog. From there I found and starting reading Tillerman's blog, from his comments about EVK4, I started reading that blog.

Ok, so some of you are smarter than I am, you understand how blogs work, how the internet connects people all over the world (I had to read a book to figure this out).

As soon as I started linking and tossing out challenges and stealing ideas from Tillerman and EVK4, signs of life in Google Analytics started to appear.

But the quality of EVK4, the simplicity of it, the openness of it. The extraordinary fact that his boat, Lady Bug, is within spitting distance (for some) of the OCSC docks I use to embark on most of my sailing adventures. That has really made me step back and think about what I'm doing with this Blog.

Since I started this blog and turned on the Google Analytics Function, 509 visits from 26 countries have been logged. Yeah, this pales in contrast to EVK4 and Tillerman, they have hundreds of thousands of visits from probably every country in the world, as well as interplanetary visitors, but whateeever duuude, I just want to go sailing, and share that with whoever wants to join me.

I know who maybe 5 of these people are who read this blog on a regular basis.

But 26 countries? What the . . .?

Ok, so the vast majority are people who stumble on this site. They don't even get this far into it, and quickly leave. Who cares about them?

I don't.

But I do care about the strangers who come back and read more pages. Even if they live in Australia or Rio . . . or Poland? Hello? is there even sailing in Poland? If so, please email me and let me know. Seriously, that would be cool.

I'm a Californian, we on the left coast don't really understand the rest of the world.

There is a joke that when the really bad earthquake comes on the Pacific Coast, we'll be able to go skiing at Tahoe, then Sail the Atlantic Ocean along the beach in what used to be Nevada. San Francisco, the city that can, will live forever.

But I digress, I'm very good at that.

I would like to be better at Blogging, if I have friends who sail in Poland that I don't know about . . .

Or Rio. hmmm, Rio sounds really nice, I just didn't want Poland to feel bad.

SO PLEASE email me, where ever you are, and let me know what you like about this blog, what you don't like, etc. You can even put a comment on this blog, but hey, if you don't want to publicly admit to reading this, an email would be fine.

If you have a nasty thing to flame me with, you can place an anonymous comment, and nobody will ever know who you are, including me. I don't moderate the comments, haven't had to - cause I don't get any.

I'll still do what ever I like, but who knows? the feedback may just improve your reading experience.

Captain John


_______________________________________

Ok, now that I've finished begging for feedback, here is your next Journal entry:

The headlands that make up the small indentations on either side of the Lower California Coast are bold and rocky. They rise, generally, in the mountains back of them, to heighths of four to six thousand feet and are spectacular in appearance. They are beautiful when the sun shines upon them directly and this beauty is even enhanced in the shadows that come with the early dawn and dusk.

______________________________________

Wow, that's cool, that's the kind of writing I expected in my Grandfather's journal. Makes me want to get on a boat, sail out the gate and head south.

(Just kidding Richard, I know OCSC's insurance stops as soon as I leave the gate - I'll be a good boy and just dream for now).


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You raise a very important question that occurs to most bloggers sooner or later I think. Actually a whole series of questions...

After a while it all seems a bit pointless unless you get some kind of reaction from readers. But many people read so many blogs and perhaps comment on 1 in a 100.

So blogging is more rewarding if there is some kind of reaction from readers, build some kind of community, share comments and ideas with each other. And speaking personally, that does happen after time but it can take a while.

Just asking for feedback doesn't necessarily generate it. Sometimes you have to be controversial to provoke comments. One of my most commented posts, for example, was Mommy Boats where I ranted about the practice of having coach boats at regattas. Generated a lot of hear from both sides of the argument.

There's a temptation to tailor your blog to the feedback you get from readers. My advice is to resist that temptation. Be yourself. Be original. Be unique. Readers will find you if you are distinct and special and interesting.

And remember this is a community thing. if you don't leave comments at other blogs, how can you expect others to comment here?

Captain John said...

Tilly,

Thank you very much for your comments. In reading your blog and EVK4’s blog from start to finish (as much as a way to understand the blogging process and the changes that a blogger goes through), I was struck by how many months (in the case of EVK4, years) that went by before each of you got feedback.

I am dedicated to the idea, as self serving as it is, that this blog of mine is MINE, I won’t tailor it to get readership (until I give in to advertising, in which case it will be a different blog).

My soul searching is / was about format, and the rather difficult and uniqueness of this being three blogs in one.

As for interesting? Yikes, no one has told me it’s interesting . . . yet.

EVK4 said...

"I just want to go sailing, and share that with whoever wants to join me." That says it all. It's almost exactly why I blog. I like to sail and I like to write. Blogging is a pretty obvious thing to do.

I like your format, reading about your grandfather's sail and then the sometimes linked current sailing events or thoughts.

As long as you're enjoying writing it somebody is going to enjoy reading it. I have nowhere near Tillerman's following (1500-3000 visits per month) but I'm pretty sure they're the same couple of hundred people clicking every single day. Probably about as many people as can stand the fact that I've written over 600 posts about me and rarely anything else.

Keep doing what you're doing; I've been enjoying looking around the marina wondering if it's you on any OCSC boats that I see.

DAS said...

What amazing insights from both Tillerman and Edward.

Captain John, you are so lucky to have not just one but two very salted celebrities from the Blogging communities advising you. At this rate, the popularity of your name and blog will be exploded way ahead of any Leagues soon. Just don't forget the promise to put your signature in my book first. An addicted sailor like myself can't afford the extra time in long lines.

Captain John said...

Anbersil,

Thank you for your kind comments.
I know who you are, and I’ll keep that a secret, the check I gave to post a comment – did it clear the bank?

Oops, I wasn’t supposed to mention that here.

Zen said...

I will whole heartedly agree with the T-man and EVK4. Blog for yourself, if there is interest readers will come. My blog is for myself and my following generations. It is somewhat like what we say in Zen practice. If you do meditation sololy for enlightenment, the more you push for it, the further it goes out of reach. I surprisingly have picked up several regular readers on both of my blogs and it did take some time for that to happen. As you post on other's blogs and post links, others will follow suit. As far as comments, that is another topic. I am generally surprised when someone does. I have found the more controversial the topic the more people will tend to respond. For me I do not write to be controversial, I write just to log that time in my life, adventure, thought, experience. The community thing happens as a byproduct of that. There is a Taoist saying, one thing gives birth to one thousand. I am just starting to explore your blog, having your own style is a good thing. Keep doing what you do and enjoy it. That is more important than comments. It will also help to join in on the Blogfather's writing fiascos

fair winds