Friday, January 2, 2009

Cabo Pig Stories

From the Log . . .

Two situations will remain in my mind as being exceedingly funny. In the first place after we had obtained the pig and had tied a small rope to one of it’s hind feet, we went into the bar for a split of Cart Blanca beer and we tied the pig to the footrail and drank our beer without any concern on our part, nor did their seem to much concern on the part of the bartender. It seemed to him to be a perfectly normal situation. As we carried it from the village back through the small valley to the beach, the little pig made an awful squealing noise. Dean remarked that the only thing that made more noise under a fence was two pigs under a fence. Apparently the squealing brought sympathy into the heart of an old sow that was in a nearby field and actually she charged at us. I do not know whether she actually would have come in bodily contact with one of us had I not taken rocks and heaved them at her. This turned her away for awhile and as Dean went on ahead with the pig, I held back the infuriated sow, who apparently was trying to render some assistance to one of the squealing children in the neighborhood.

______________________________

It appears from the gap in the journal, and the next journal paragraph (which will appear in the next post) that the journey down the Baja Peninsula is missing from my copy of the journal. Hermans (the piglet) appears to have met his end in Cabo.

I’m getting ahead of the story, but in the next post, the journal describes the location where the above takes place as ‘Cape San Lucas’. When I googled that, I found a
Encyclopedia Britannica article that indicates that this cape is the extreme southern tip of Baja California. Looking closer, ‘Cape’ in Spanish is ‘Cabo’. In the next post I’ll elaborate on that.

So in a prior post, the journal describes dressing the piglet and roasting it, without too much detail as how it met its end. Scalding is mentioned, but . . . well, one wonders, but I don’t want to dwell on that. Dr. Holcomb takes the piglet to a bar, and prevents the condemned pig from being rescued by a sow. He found it extremely funny, I’m not so amused.
______________________________

Now for something completely different:

In EVK4’s
Three Bridge Fiasco post, he announces that he’s ‘making another run at this race’. Embarrassingly, I immediately (and publicly) volunteer to crew for him, without thinking about the fact that it is a race put on by the Singlehanded Sailing Society.

And, oh, by the way, Edward mentions in his post that he’s already sailing with an ‘incredible sailor’.

Wait a minute, if it’s put on by the Singlehanded Society, isn’t it a Singlehanded race?

Well, no, it’s open to doublehanders as well.

So I guess, I have to announce that I will also enter the Three Bridge Fiasco. When I mentioned this to Admiral Anne, she immediately emailed me with such enthusiasm, that I’ll just have to go through with it.

If only I had a boat . . .

Actually I have two boats, but I’d have to take the next three weeks off to prepare them to go back in the water. Work won’t allow that, so I’ll just have to figure out how to get my hands on something that is already wet.

Let’s see, Anne and I could each singlehand in two of her three El Toros (that is why Anne is an Admiral, she has a fleet), but I think their rating would force us to start the race the day before.

Also, they don’t have heads, so taking biobreaks would be problematic.

They also don’t have navigation lights, but if I remember that Chapman chapter, they are so short that they aren’t required to display lights.

They’d also be like a bug on a windshield to a tanker.

Stay tuned.

No comments: