Sunday, July 12, 2009

Pay It Forward

One of the things I did as part of my 70th sail was to walk into the Oakland Yacht Club. It is next door to where Gokuraku (the Tartan 4600 I sailed on) is located.

Most yacht clubs have a tradition of displaying photographs of the past commodores. Today was the first time I'd set foot in the Oakland Yacht Club.


I'd heard that my grandfather had been the commodore of the yacht club.

There his picture was, he was commodore of the Oakland Yacht Club in 1948. It was an interesting mix of emotions for me to stand there on the staircase and seek his picture out among all those who served in that position before and after.

This blog, and my efforts in the Got Wind and Water Meetup Group are about Paying It Forward.

I can't pay him back for introducing me to sailing. He's gone. I can only Pay It Forward, by introducing others to this life long passion of mine.

2 comments:

tillerman said...

Congratulations. GOTWAW sounds like a wonderful idea an dyou have made a great success of it.

Captain John said...

Thanks Tillerman. Your blog, "Proper Course", has been a wonderful thing as well. It is very, very, entertaining, and has gotten a lot of people talking about the joys of sailing.