Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas

In Tillerman's blog post on December 31st, 2008, "Random Thoughts on Number Ninety Four" he talks about setting a target and learning things as you go after the target.

I've always approached sailing with the notion that no matter what happens, I learn something from going out there. For me, sailing just changes your perspective. This changed perspective requires the sailor to think about things differently. It teaches me, every single time I go out on the water, that I don't know enough. It's a learning curve that has no top.

At the beginning of the year I did not set a target like Tillerman did in 2008.

I decided, out of frustration, that I would sail as soon as I could. I'd been chartering boats from OCSC, and darn it, they closed their doors between Christmas and New Years. I'd set aside some time off to sail then, and I could not.

I did not know anyone with a boat that wanted to go sailing then, and my options were limited.

That would change in a big way in 2009.

I did not set a target to 'beat' - I'm just not that competitive.

I decided to count.

I decided to see what would happen.

I kept a log.

On Friday, March 20th, 2009, I tried my first 'MeetUp' Sailing Event. OCSC had created a 'MeetUp' group and I was asked to be their Assistant Organizer.

It was my 23rd sail of the year.

On the last day of March, I resigned from being the Assistant Organizer of the OCSC MeetUp group and formed the Got Wind and Water Sailing Network Group. Using the MeetUp platform, I decided to see if I could network sailors together and create something that would Pay It Forward.

On April 1st, GOTWAW had it's first event.

It was my 27th sail of the year.

Yesterday I had my 118th sail of the year.

Tomorrow will be my 119th sail of the year.

Got Wind and Water has been a huge success.

Out of 385 members, 128 members have gone sailing with the group an astonishing 617 times since April 1st. There have been 120 GOTWAW events so far. There are 69 GOTWAW Photo Albums.

According to Latitude 38, about 20 sailboats and 65 sailors gathered at Ayala Cove for the Winter Sailstice. Most of the sailboats participating were boats from the Got Wind and Water Group.

Members participated in the Vallejo Race, the Sarcoma Cup, the Rolex Big Boat Series and the Jessica Cup.

So my friends, if you've been wondering where I've been, what I've been doing, well, instead of blogging about it, I've just been sailing. I'm going to try to return to Ayala Sandbox. 119 is more than enough sailing. I'm not going to stop sailing, but I am going to try to return to blogging about sailing.

I've had a Merry Christmas, one that has been full of reflection about what a lucky guy I am. I have sailed my heart out in 2009.

It will be interesting seeing just how many times I'll eventually go sailing in 2009. I'm not done yet. Between Christmas and New Years, it won't matter that OCSC will be shut down for the holidays.

I'm ready to sail, and I have the opportunity to do so.

I have a lot of friends.

We all can go sailing through the Got Wind and Water Network just about anytime we want.

No comments: