Sunday, February 1, 2009

A quick Blog before I go . . .

A quick Blog before I go sailing . . . again.

I'll write more when I have time. The Three Bridge Fiasco Blogger Division worked out well. As a shadow (charter) boat, I was prevented from actually entering the race, but no stranger to large fleets of racing boats, I had no trouble darting in and out and through the fleet to provide a platform for Zen to take some shots.
Of course the super blogger EVK4 was our favorite target of opportunity.

And we caught Lady Bug's foredeck crew doing the dance.
Zen sums up the start nicely in 'A day at the races . . . 3BF 09'.

I think one of the coolest things about the TBF is that the fleet is HUGE and every imaginable boat type is there.

After what seemed like an hour of non stop photography, with Zen at the camera, and myself standing at the helm constantly scanning the crowd to find ways to intertwine our course with the 320+ boats that we trying very hard to go where they needed to go in light wind, Zen very graciously agreed to switch cameras (his for mine), so that I could leave the day with a full memory card of . . . memories.
There will be more later, this is just a taste.
We got some very nice shots of the quiet spinnaker action near the south tower of the Golden Gate in the light air.
P.S. - Tilly, it was shirt sleeve weather :) The Pacific Ocean starts just through that big bridge. Because the fleet consisted of double hand and single hand sailors, everyone was dressed for the worst. Later on, the air was thick with layers being tossed aside, and bare arms greeting the sun.

2 comments:

EVK4 said...

John,
I'll be blogging about your incredible contributions soon. Thanks so much for getting out there!

Captain John said...

Ah Gee, you are making me blush. I guess I’ll have to read your future blog to understand what was incredible about it. We just tagged along and had fun staying out of the way of 320+ racing yachts on an incredible day on the bay.