Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spoke too soon

Argh, I spoke too soon. I thought I'd kicked the flu bug, but it has kicked me back and I'm taking the day off from work (and sailing) to get some rest.

During my wakeful, cognizant moments, I'm online today to explore things that interest me. Ever prepared to set the laptop aside and zonk out.

I recently gave my Powershot camera to someone, and have been using my Canon D100 to take pictures while sailing. Being very careful, I'm pulling it out only when conditions are perfect and only when I'm not to busy enjoying the view myself to pause and try to capture the moment. The Powershot was not waterproof, and neither is the D100. But check this out. there is a rumor that Garmin is going to integrate a camera into the Oregon GPS model. Now that would be cool. Since I carry an Oregon with me when I sail, having a camera embedded in it would foster the ability to take pictures on the spur of the moment while sailing and post them here.

I'm hopeful that I'll find some time today to complete one goal that I started working on last night when I couldn't sleep - put a document together for the Admiral to explain what was going on during Kuai's journey around Angel Island. She was busy on the foredeck during the race, which prevented her from listening to our Owner/Captain/Helmsman/Tactian as he guided Kuai through the race.

I happened to be assigned to the Sail Trim position, which gave me a perfect position to observe everything. I've gotten about halfway through creating a document that analyzes the race from my perspective. I left my Oregon in a computer bag, so didn't have it with me to capture the GPS track, but am learning how to recreate a track in MapSource. It's not as accurate as an actual track, but it's a start.

Another thing I'll be doing today is keeping an eye on the growth of the San Francisco Bay Sailing Meetup Group. It's very interesting to watch as people join the group. Their underlying personalities are revealed by the choices they make in disclosing things about themselves as they join.

For those of you who are wondering what's happened to my efforts to transcribe my Grandfathers (B)log of his circumnavigation in the early fifties, don't worry, that effort is not on the back burner. I'm just working on getting my life into some sort of balance so I can do everything in parallel. The (B)log will return soon.

No comments: